Scammed? OCBC Bank clients can activate 'kill switch' to freeze accounts
This includes access to current/savings accounts, ATMs, debit/credit cards, and digital banking.
OCBC Bank launched an emergency 'kill switch' that customers can enable to immediately freeze all accounts if they suspect they are a victim of a scam or if they think key account-related details have been compromised.
The kill switch can be initiated through option '8' via the bank’s official contact number, 1800 363 3333, or through the 500 standalone OCBC Bank ATMs.
The feature is set to be available on all ATMs by March 2022.
Through this option, customers will be able to immediately freeze all current and savings accounts including joint accounts, ATM access, debit or credit cards, digital banking, as well as OCBC Pay Anyone app access.
Particularly, the kill switch disables cash withdrawals and deposits (including salary credit), local and overseas funds transfers, bill payments, GIRO transactions, NETS transactions, Visa & MasterCard transactions using ATM/credit/debit cards physically and digitally, and digital banking transactions.
Once activated, no transactions can be made, either digitally or through the bank's ATMs or branches. Recurring fund transfers will also be disabled.
This feature, along with a dedicated fraud hotline, is part of the bank’s latest efforts to implement anti-scam measures and is in line with the industry’s efforts announced last 19 January by The Association of Banks in Singapore and the Monetary Authority of Singapore.
Here are two ways a customer can activate the 'kill switch':
1. Call OCBC Bank’s official contact number (1800 363 3333 or +65 6363 3333 if calling from overseas)
- Press 8 to temporarily suspend your accounts
- Enter 7-digit NRIC number followed by the hash key
- Press 1 to confirm NRIC number
- Enter 16-digit credit or debit card number, or 10-digit ATM card number
- Press 1 to confirm card number
- Press 1 to confirm account and cards suspension
- Press 0 at any time to speak with a customer service executive
2. Go to an OCBC Bank ATM:
- Login with an ATM / debit / credit card and PIN
- Select ‘More Services’
- Select ‘Suspend your accounts and cards’
- Select ‘Confirm’