, India

Chart of the Week: India’s card payments market to reach $581.2b by 2026

The card payments market value grew 26.7% in 2022, according to estimates.

India’s card payments market is estimated to reach $581.2b (INR43.3t) by 2026, growing at a compound annual growth rate of 18.7% between 2022 and 2026, according to a new report by GlobalData.

Consumers’ increasing preference for electronic payments, improvement in payment infrastructure, and constant efforts by financial authorities to boost cashless payments will drive this rise, the data and analytics company said.

ALSO READ: Indian banks’ lending to NBFCs up 150% from pre-COVID levels

India’s card payments value was estimated to have grown 26.7% in 2022 amidst economic recovery and a rise in consumer spending.

Credit and charge card penetration in India is low at 6.3 cards per 100 individuals in 2022, compared to 71.7 for debit cards. However, credit and charge cards account for 63.2% of card payments by value in 2022, whilst debit cards only account for the remaining 36.8% share.

Follow the link for more news on

Join Asian Banking & Finance community
Since you're here...

...there are many ways you can work with us to advertise your company and connect to your customers. Our team can help you dight and create an advertising campaign, in print and digital, on this website and in print magazine.

We can also organize a real life or digital event for you and find thought leader speakers as well as industry leaders, who could be your potential partners, to join the event. We also run some awards programmes which give you an opportunity to be recognized for your achievements during the year and you can join this as a participant or a sponsor.

Let us help you drive your business forward with a good partnership!