, China
94 views

DBS to acquire 13% stake in Shenzhen Rural Commercial Bank for $810m

It will become SZRCB’s largest shareholder upon the deal’s completion.

DBS Bank has entered into an agreement to acquire a 13% stake in Shenzhen Rural Commercial Bank (SZRCB) for S$1.079b or about US$810m (RMB5.29b).

In a press release, the Singaporean bank confirmed that it has obtained approvals from the Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS) and the China Banking and Insurance Regulator Commission, Shenzhen Office (Shenzhen CBIRC) to proceed with the acquisition.

Under this investment, DBS will acquire 1.35 billion new shares in SZRCB at RMB3.91 per share, representing 1.01 times the book value per share of SZRCB as of 31 December 2020.

Upon the completion of the Investment, DBS will become the largest shareholder in SZRCB and will have representation on SZRCB’s board of directors, the bank revealed.

The Investment will have less than 0.2 percentage points (ppt) impact to the DBS Group’s capital ratios, and is expected to be immediately accretive to earnings and Return on Equity (ROE).

Further, DBS intends to fund the Investment using internal cash resources and it is expected to complete the Investment upon receipt of China Securities Regulatory Commission (“CSRC”) approval.

Established in 2005 and headquartered in Shenzhen, SZRCB is a privately-owned commercial bank that currently operates one of the largest bank branch networks in the city. Over 210 of its 217 branches and over 2,100 self-service terminals are located in Shenzhen.

The bank currently has over 3,600 employees servicing over 5 million active retail customers and over 170,000 active corporate customers.

Approximately 40% of its total loans are in the retail segment and remaining 60% in corporate segment, largely to Shenzhen-based small and medium enterprises.

Based on SZRCB’s financial results for the year ended 31 December 2020, SZRCB has S$106b (RMB519b) of total assets and S$82b (RMB404b) of deposits, and generated RMB 4.8 billion (SGD 976 million) of net profit after tax. It has a strong track record of profitability, achieving average ROE of over 17% since its establishment in 2005.

Since you're here...

...there are many ways you can work with us to advertise your company and connect to your customers. Our team can help you dight and create an advertising campaign, in print and digital, on this website and in print magazine.

We can also organize a real life or digital event for you and find thought leader speakers as well as industry leaders, who could be your potential partners, to join the event. We also run some awards programmes which give you an opportunity to be recognized for your achievements during the year and you can join this as a participant or a sponsor.

Let us help you drive your business forward with a good partnership!

Get Asian Banking & Finance in your inbox

VCs flocking to "lucrative" APAC payments segment: report

Global VC deals rose to 620 in Q1 2021.

China injects $15.5b cash into the financial system to maintain liquidity: report

The nation’s top leaders recently described economic recovery as “unbalanced and unstable.”

Chart of the Week: Card payments in China to rebound 21.3% in 2021

Card payments are set to rise as economic activities gathers pace.

Citi APAC adds nearly 650 new wealth professionals in 2021 so far

The group has added over $5b in net new money in Q1 alone.

Goldman Sachs ramps up China ambitions with hiring spree: report

It is planning to add over 400 new people in its headcount in 2021 alone.

Citi appoints new head for private banking arm in South Asia

Lee will have direct responsibility over the private bank arm of Singapore, Malaysia.

Citi APAC rolls out gender diversity program for investment, securities arm

The program’s 50 top candidates will have the chance to be recruited by the bank.

Standard Chartered, EastWest on the blueprint for building the bank of the future

Data is the new oil, says Sarabjit Anand, Standard Chartered’s CIO for Singapore and ASEAN.

Low costs buoys Australian banks’ profits, but pressures to persist

Operating profit is 46% higher than last year, but pre-impairment earnings remain subdued.

HSG shares insights on modelling core banking IT for the digital economy

Sisi Yu gives us a glimpse of how banks can achieve higher performance through improved services.